Epithets
Creative Katherine
I love trying new things and finding ways to be creative! About a year and a half ago, I started my own photography business and did four weddings within the first three months. Back in December, I decided to start blogging and have done a few collaborations with different companies, as well as document some favorite travel destinations. It has been a fun way to connect with people! I am currently in the process of building a paper company (journals, wrapping paper, cards, stationary) with my original designs. I've learned a lot about the entrepreneurial world through marketing my creative skills, and it has been a fun journey so far!
Born of the Southern Lands
I was born in a small farm town in Tennessee where the southern accents are thick and the humidity is thicker. I'm very proud of my Southern heritage and my ancestors who worked and sacrificed so much so that I can be where I am today. Some of my favorite memories growing up include running barefoot through the lush green fields of our family farm, eating corn on the cob fresh out of my grandfather's garden, and watching summer lightning storms from the back porch. While I feel that I thrive in more urban settings, returning home always brings back sweet memories of my childhood.
Lover of Cultures
I have always loved to travel and learn about different cultures. My first eye-opening cultural experience happened at the age of 10 when my parents and I picked up one of my older brothers from his mission in Lima, Peru. I developed a huge desire to understand those people who were so different from me, and since then, I have sought out opportunities to see more of the world. I have done a study abroad in England and Scotland, visited France and Spain, served a mission in Mexico City, done humanitarian service in Guatemala two summers in a row, and plan to visit a country in Asia soon (really wanting to do Cambodia or South Korea). Some of my favorite parts of the cultural experience include the languages, people, historical sights, and the food! I'm a big foodie (hence the name of this blog) and prefer to spend my travel money on experiences and authentic meals, rather than souvenirs and trinkets.
Master of Self
As one who has struggled with mild depression symptoms for about two years now, and as an Exercise and Wellness major, I have been on a journey to self-mastery. I have been learning a lot about the benefits of healthy eating and exercise, and how those things tie in to our mental wellbeing (also known as the mind-body connection). It's easy to become a slave to our emotions, but I decided that I don't want that to be my story. Through many personal experiments, I have found (and am still finding) ways to pull myself out of those depressive days and turn them into good ones. I am learning how to work through my unexplained sadness that sometimes hits me out of nowhere by staying active, eating more whole foods, thinking more positively, surrounding myself with good people, and working on new projects. It's a process, and I still have days that are hard, but this journey to self-mastery has proved to me that I have so much more power over my emotions than I thought. "Of this be sure: you do not find the happy life. You make it." -Thomas S. Monson



Hi Katherine!
ReplyDeleteYou sound like quite the entrepreneur! Way to go! I had a really cool roommate from Tennessee, but that's about all the contact I've ever had with the South (I'm from southern California). That's so cool that you've had the opportunities to visit all of those places! I also love travel and cultures, though I haven't gotten around as much as you. Lastly, I think it's awesome that you are choosing to be real and open about mental health issues and that you are choosing to help yourself be your best self. You sound like you rock!
It was awesome to read your epithet descriptions and learn more about you! It seems like you have already had so many great experiences in your life, from trips to entrepreneurship. I need to get going with having some experience like this in my life! I also grew up in a small farm town and agree that it is fun to go visit home, but not much more than that. I love the quote you included from President Monson! It is hard to do this at times, but it is definitely worth it. Keep going! You’re awesome!
ReplyDeleteThis is a really cool blog. It sounds like you've accomplished a lot and have gone through a lot. I really love other cultures as well! I enjoy trying new foods wherever I go! There are very few things I don't enjoy eating. Tennessee sounds awesome, my sister served her mission there. I hope to visit it someday!
ReplyDelete